Thursday, August 7, 2014

Benefit Gimme Brow Gives As Long As I Provide

I should come clean. I get lazy in the summer. Like really lazy. On the days I even do my makeup, it's usually just lashes, brows, and lips. And as much as I love my brow powders and pencils, they take just enough work that my laziness can't deal. 

Enter Benefit's Gimme Brow. This is a tinted, fiber gel that is supposed to add color, fullness, and keep brows in place. It comes in two colors: Light/Medium and Medium/Deep, and retails for $22. And although I probably wouldn't use this product when I want defined brows, it is perfect for lazy days.



Left: Anastasia Brow Wiz in Brunette, Right: Benefit Gimme Brow in Medium/Deep

It might be a little hard to tell from the picture, but Gimme Brow in Medium/Deep is actually about a shade darker and slightly cooler in tone compared to Brunette. Brunette is a good match for me, but Medium/Deep can be slightly too dark in certain lighting. So for you ladies (or gents) with eyebrow colors that aren't particularly light or dark, you might not find that either of the two color options fit perfectly. 

Before & After








Although the color is ever-so-slightly dark for me, Gimme Brow does fill my brows in nicely and quickly while also holding them in place. However, I do have somewhat thick and long brows, so I'm wondering how effective this product is on shorter, sparser brows. 

As you can see in the picture below, the front end of my left brow (right side in the picture) is relatively sparse. However, Gimme Brow doesn't do much to fill that in. It seems to work its magic only on the denser parts of my brows. 

Of course, there's the option of filling in brows with a pencil/powder first and then setting with Gimme Brow. I like the sound of this option, but I think it comes with guidelines. The first is the color of your brows/hair. Since my brows are significantly darker than my hair, I think opaquely filling them in with two products will just make them look too bold/harsh. The second is the thickness of your brows. The thicker your brows are, the more Gimme Brow will adhere. So basically, if you have more natural thickness, you'll have a higher potential for getting bushy brows than those with sparser brows. But of course, if these looks are what you're going for, then Gimme Brow would be a great product to use.


Gimme Brow on both brows

Even after a week of using Gimme Brow, though, I had a little trouble determining my feelings toward this product. So, I had to break out the pro/con list: 

Pros

  • Adds color
  • Adds fullness where there is enough brow for the product to cling to
  • Keeps brows in place all day
  • Easy & quick application

Cons

  • Only 2 color options
  • Doesn't fully fill in sparse areas
  • Cannot easily make clean lines or provide definition 
  • Might be too much layered over a brow pencil

For me, this product seems to just be a lazy-girl staple. When I want my brows to be defined and a little more even, I will definitely still reach for my Brow Wiz first. But on the days when I just can't be bothered, I will always reach for Gimme Brow. 

6 comments:

  1. I really want to try this product! Love your review, very informative and honest!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might try the Gimme Brow! I am definitely lazy during the summer about makeup as well. Is the product waterproof or at least sweat resistant, cuz humid, hot summers can be killer for makeup :P
    Great review, and your eyes are gorgeouss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes! It's actually pretty great with heat, sorry I forgot to mention in the post. It holds up really nicely against humidity and is water resistant (I live in the south), but at the same time can be removed easily which I really enjoy. I hope you like it if you give it a go!

      Delete
  3. You have lovely natural brows and don't need much else! I've considered Gimme Brow but I wish they had a bigger color selection. One is too dark and the other too light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe Anastasia or MAC will give you better luck with the color variety? I believe Tarte recently released a tinted brow gel as well, but they only have 3 colors as far as I know...

      Delete