Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Stila In the Moment Palette: Mini Review+Swatches with Overall Thoughts on the Collection of Stila Palettes

Here comes the last of the Stila palette reviews! If you haven't already, make sure to check out the others: In the Know, In the Light, In the Garden

Again, this is one of the sample palettes, so I don't have the Smudge Stick that comes with the actual palette, but it's called Tetra, and is a deep, shimmery purple. Also, since I am using the shadows off of a card instead of out of a pan, I can't say if the textures I'm experiencing here are how they actually are in the full palette. In the Moment comes with ten shadows in a mix of mattes and shimmers (though this has the most shimmers of all the palettes), and retails for $39 at Ulta or Sephora. 
Like In the Garden, this palette is neutral with a twist. Where In the Garden features some green tones, this one features purple. There is only one truly matte color in the palette, and it is a light, blush-beige (Desire). The other (Catalyst) is a matte black infused with purple glitter. Of all the Stila sample palettes, Catalyst is by far the best shadow that I have swatched and worked with. It is buttery soft and smooth, has intense pigmentation, and I think it is quite unique. If Stila were to sell this color as a single, I would definitely buy it. But besides these two, the rest of the colors are shimmers. In the top row there's a blush-white (Instinct), a sheer lavender (Impulse), a blue-toned violet (Glance), and a warm plum (Improvise). In the bottom row there's a rose gold (Wonder), a muted gold (Spontaneous), a red-brown (Whim), and a purple-brown (Captivate). 
Top: Instinct, Impulse, Glance, Improvise, Catalyst
Bottom: Desire, Wonder, Spontaneous, Whim, Captivate
Following suit of the other Stila sample palettes, the pigmentation of these shadows (besides Catalyst) is somewhat lacking. The level is good for softer looks, but you won't be getting the colors in application as they appear in the pan (or in this case, on the card). As I've mentioned with the other sample palettes, you'll need both a good base and to use the shadows wet if you're wanting a bolder look.   
Top: Instinct, Impulse, Glance, Improvise, Catalyst
Bottom: Desire, Wonder, Spontaneous, Whim, Captivate
Wonder all over the lid, Glance on outer half of lid, Improvise on outer corner, through the crease, and on the lower lash-line, Catalyst lining upper lash-line, Instinct as brow-bone highlight, NYX Round Case lipstick in Tea Rose on the lips
At least Stila is consistent with these more shimmery palettes. The shadows are not the creamiest (excepting Catalyst), but they are not chalky or powdery either. They are somewhat sheer, but blend well, and there is little to no fallout with application.

Overall, I do appreciate the twist on the neutral palette, and I think this palette walks the same line as In the Garden. That is, I think it is universally friendly, but will work especially well for brown-eyed girls (we'll skip the Van Morrison reference this time) because the purple compliments the yellow tones that can be found in brown eyes. Since these yellow tones can also be found in hazel and green eyes, I think this palette will work well for people with these-colored eyes too. 

Of all the Stila palettes, my favorite is In the Know because I find the texture and pigmentation of the shadows to be superior to the others. However, if I were to pick amongst the three that have shimmers, I would choose In the Garden. I think that has the most unique combination of shadows and Smudge Stick, and since none have the best quality shadows, that is the aspect that matters most to me. Unfortunately, I have to say that I probably wouldn't purchase any of the Stila palettes that I reviewed in sample form (I already own In the Know and don't regret that purchase) just because I think I can find the colors that most stood out to me elsewhere in better quality (such as at MAC or Urban Decay). 

The colors from these palettes that I most enjoyed and will be looking for are:
In the Light: Night Sky
In the Garden: Freesia, Moss, Juniper
In the Moment: Wonder, Catalyst 

What do you think of the Stila palettes? Which is your favorite? 

9 comments:

  1. In the know was definitely my favorite. Not as bold as In the garden with all the greens but not as monotonous as in the light. Also....blog post request!! Could you write a post about the one eyeshadow, the one liner, the one mascara, the one lip color, and the once face makeup item that you would pick if you were stuck on an island and could only bring one of each? aka the one product from each category that you couldn't live with out. I'm curious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not in the know...in the moment!

      Delete
    2. Those purples would look great on you! And I'd love to do that post! I'll try to have it out in the next week.

      Delete
  2. Really Nice Review! HiI have some products I would like you to review check out www.youravon.com.karlasmith . Then email Me at kashebeauty@Gmail.com with your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is really nice review
    http://www.leavepillow.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. That black color is really pigmented, nice review!
    http://stylesbynancy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely the star of the palette! Thanks!

      Delete