Friday, June 6, 2014

Stila In the Light Palette: Mini Review+Swatches

After my review of the Stila In the Know palette, I realized that I had sample cards of the other three Stila eyeshadow palettes, so I wanted to provide some swatches. I can't fully review the palettes, as I'm not sure if the textures are somewhat different since I'm using the shadows off of a card rather than out of a pan, and I don't have the Smudge Sticks that come with the palettes, but I will be providing a mini review. This particular post will be devoted to the first of the three: In the Light. The actual palette comes with the Smudge Stick in Damsel--a matte, chocolate brown, and retails for $39. 
In the Light comes with ten neutral shadows in a good variety. The palette comes with the necessary mattes: a light cream for highlighting (Bare), a mid-tone mauve-y brown for transition (Bliss), a dark chocolate brown (Sandstone), and a black (Ebony). In addition to the mattes, the cult favorite Kitten, a champagne shimmer, is in this palette along with a shimmery dark copper (Sunset), a shimmery gold (Bubbly), a slightly deeper version of Sunset (Gilded Gold), a shimmery black-brown (Luster), and a shimmery grey-blue (Night Sky). Although Sunset and Gilded Gold are very similar colors, other than these two, I enjoy the variety of colors in this palette: I think there are a good number of different looks that can be achieved. 
Top: Bare, Kitten, Bliss, Sunset, Sandstone
Bottom: Bubbly, Gilded Gold, Luster, Night Sky, Ebony
But although there is a nice variety of colors, as you can probably tell from the swatches, these are not the most pigmented shadows. I had to build up most of these. Of course, with a primer, these colors will be intensified.
Top: Bare, Kitten, Bliss, Sunset, Sandstone
Bottom: Bubbly, Gilded Gold, Luster, Night Sky, Ebony
Because I thought the swatches made it a little difficult to tell the built-up color, I have also included some finger swatches. With a good primer and using the shadows wet, you might be able to achieve this level of pigmentation on the eyes. 
Sunset inner half of lid, Gilded Gold outer half of lid, Bliss as transition, Bare as brow-bone highlight, Luster as upper and lower-lash liner, MAC Viva Glam V on the lips
Even though these shadows are not the creamiest I've used, they are not chalky or powdery either. They blend nicely, and as long as I tap my brush before application, there is little to no fallout. 

Overall, I think this is a really nice neutral palette. However, if I were between this and some other neutral palettes such as the UD Naked palette or Lorac Pro palette, I would choose one of the latter: I don't think the quality of these shadows is quite as good as UD's or Lorac's. Although this palette has more mattes than the Naked palettes, it does not have as many as Lorac, so if you're looking for an even split, Lorac would be the way to go. Of the three, though, this is the least expensive ($42, Lorac and $52, UD) and the only one that comes with a full-size eyeliner. So if you're trying to save a few bucks, like having your eye products in one place, or just enjoy collecting neutral palettes, this could be the one for you!

4 comments:

  1. Pretty shades, but like you said I'd rather get the Lorac or UD palettes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shade..great review
    http://www.leavepillow.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete