Thursday, June 19, 2014

Products that Banish Body Acne

In the world of beauty, perhaps one of the most frustrating things is acne; especially when it shows up on your body. Well I've had my share of skin demons, so here are some of the products that I've used to help tackle them. None of these products will stain clothes. 
The Sprays: spray a thin layer onto clean skin
Neutrogena Body Clear Body Spray ($8): If you know that your acne responds well to salicylic acid, this is a good one to try. It has 0.5% salicylic acid, sprays very evenly in a fine mist, and smells pretty good to boot. It's one of the most inexpensive body-acne sprays out there, and it sprays upside-down which is really handy.

Murad Clarifying Body Spray ($37): If salicylic acid alone just doesn't cut it, the Murad body spray might work better for you. In addition to the 0.5% salicylic acid, this spray also contains glycolic acid which is a good exfoliant for acne-prone skin. Since my skin doesn't really respond to salicylic acid, this worked better for me than the Neutrogena one, but still didn't completely clear me up.   
The Toner: soak a cotton ball and wipe over affected areas repeatedly until cotton ball remains clean
Mario Badescu Special Cleansing Lotion "O" ($15): This is a toner with only six ingredients: Water, Boric Acid, Isopropyl Alcohol, Camphor, Benzoin Gum, and Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein. I had never heard of any of these ingredients being particularly helpful with acne before, so I didn't really know what to expect, but this stuff works amazingly. It's pretty crazy how much dirt remains on the skin even after washing. This made me feel like my skin was actually clean. I liked this better than the sprays as it almost completely cleared me up. However, I still had some stubborn bumps that just wouldn't go away. 
The Soaps: wash affected areas daily
Mario Badescu A.H.A. Botanical Body Soap ($8): Let me just start by saying I really enjoy the Mario Badescu line. This particular wash takes a different route with exfoliation. Instead of the typical acids, it has papaya and grapefruit extracts. It also has oat protein to help calm skin. Although the previously-mentioned products all helped me at some point, this is what I'm currently using and loving. I use this in conjunction with the next product, and while I still get the occasional zit, together, these have basically cleared me up.

Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser ($7): This is marketed for the face, but I love it as a body wash. This has 10% benzoyl peroxide, and if your skin is stubborn with salicylic acid, this might be what it needs to put acne in its place. As I mentioned, I like to use this with the Mario Badescu Body Soap. I alternate which soap I use each day, and what I do is wash affected areas with this as my very last step before I get out of the shower. Using this as a last step ensures that residue from other products does not clog my pores.
The Topical: apply a thin layer to cleaned, affected areas
Neosporin ($5): I know you might be thinking that Neosporin is just for cuts and scrapes, but this is a general antibiotic, and acne is usually caused by bacteria. Therefore, this could help clear up acne, but it is important to use this as a spot treatment. This is because, in addition to the antibiotics, petroleum jelly is also an ingredient, and this could clog pores if used on a larger surface area. 

If you want to combine products, you could follow The Soaps with The Topical. However, I wouldn't recommend following The Soaps with The Sprays or The Toner unless you have already been trying one or the other for a while. And if you do decide to combine products from the first three categories, make sure to follow up with an oil-free moisturizer so as not to dry out your skin. 

Are there any products you love for battling body acne?

No comments:

Post a Comment