Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes Mascara Review

I love Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara; you know, the one in the purple tube? So I was excited to get a sample of their newer Lights, Camera, Flashes. This retails for $23 and is described as a statement mascara, meant to add length, curl, and volume (752% increase?!). Did it live up to its claims? Keep reading to find out.

 Lights, Camera, Flashes comes with a large, flexible, rubber brush. There are alternating rows of reeeally long bristles and shorter bristles. And I have to say, I think the long bristles are too long. I can't get this wand too close to my lashes without getting mascara all over my lids, and because of this, the shorter bristles are completely useless. 

Formula-wise, this is a little on the wetter side, though not too wet for my taste (although I do prefer drier mascaras). Since this is the case, I do feel like my lashes either lose a little curl, or at least do not gain any curl from the formula. This mascara is supposed to be curling though, so maybe once it dries out a bit, I'll be able to tell if it helps curl my lashes. Additionally, this is not waterproof, and I did notice transfer under my eyes when I wore this on my lower lashes. 
Left: Bare lashes, Right: One coat Lights, Camera, Flashes on top and bottom lashes

With only one coat, I don't think this mascara did too much in the way of volumizing or lengthening my lashes. I definitely see more definition, and maybe a little added volume and length, but nothing significant. My lashes are definitely not 752% of their normal volume. After one coat, I don't find this mascara to really be anything special, and I think Lights, Camera, Lashes is better.
Left: Bare lashes, Right: Two coats Lights, Camera, Flashes on top lashes

After two coats, I'm seeing more volume and length. However, the length still isn't out-of-this-world, and the volume is still not 752% of the original. I think that volume claim was just too bold, but I do like this better as a "statement mascara" using two coats compared to one (but I usually only ever use one coat). Also, with two coats, I did notice some clumping on the lashes closer to the outer half of my eye, and I think this is because the formula is wetter and the brush is just too big. 

Overall, I do like this mascara, but more for everyday than for making a statement (since I don't like wearing two coats). When I want volume on volume, I'll still go to Benefit's They're Real or Clinique's High Impact since I know with those I can get thicker lashes with just one coat. If you do like loading up some mascara though, you might like this one as it doesn't make lashes as spidery as I know some can with multiple coats. But at the end of the day, I wouldn't purchase this mascara over the original Lights, Camera, Lashes. 

What do you think of Tarte mascara? What are your favorite "statement" mascaras? 

4 comments:

  1. yes!! Benefit's They're real, I've been using that for like two years, can't get myself to try anything else. I use it for my everyday. Benefit is probably my favorite brand for eye make-up. I use the Gimmie Brow and the Speed Brow a lot too to add thickness to my eyebrows since some of us weren't blessed with beautiful luscious eyebrows like you ;). But I do like the natural look that Tarte mascara gives you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Claudia! I actually haven't tried too much from Benefit, but have been eyeing the Gimmie Brow for a while. Have you tried any Anastasia Beverly Hills products? That's probably my go-to brand for brows :)

      Delete