Sunday, May 4, 2014

Mini Sephora Haul!

I did it! I finally got my hands on the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette. And while it was my only actual purchase in this little haul (mini indeed!), all the extras I got along with it are permanent products, so I thought I'd show those too. 
See by Chloe, $78 for 1.7 oz Sephora
I picked this up as one of Sephora's weekly specials, where you get a free deluxe sample with a purchase over $25. Six different scents were being offered, and I have to say, I don't know what they all smell like, but I can't imagine any of the others being better than this one. The notes are juicy bergamot, apple, jasmine, ylang ylang, vanilla, and musk. To me, this has a little edge to it, making it have a slightly unisex-style vibe. So if you're into slightly more masculine scents, I think this is something you'll really like. I'm thinking I'll definitely have to pick up a full size of this once the sample runs out. I'm obsessed. 
Left to Right: Matte Radiance Baked Powder in Highlight, $36; Flawless Skin Face Polish, $32; Tinted Moisturizer in Nude, $43; Foundation Primer in Radiance, $33; Lip Glace in Rose, $25 Sephora
I was so excited to see a Laura Mercier point perk when I was checking out, and I think this is the first time I've used my points in years. This 500 point perk came with five bestsellers from the line, and I actually haven't tried any of these products before, so I'm really excited to give them a go. Just from my first impression, I can tell you that the highlight is gorgeous--it has a nice sheen without being sparkly, and the lipgloss has a nice texture--not too sticky, a vanilla scent, and decent pigmentation. I haven't tried the other three products yet, but will probably be doing an actual review on everything once I've had a chance to really try these out.
Top to bottom: Tinted Moisturizer in Nude, Tinted Moisturizer in Nude blended, Matte Radiance Baked Powder in Highlight, and Lip Glace in Rose
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette, $58 Sephora
And finally, the star of the show. But before I get to the powders themselves, I just first want to talk about the amount of product in this palette because it's my only drawback. With this palette, you're getting 3.3 grams of each powder, so 9.9 grams total. If you were to buy a full-size powder, you would be getting 10 grams of product. And where this palette is $58, a full size is $45. So while I enjoy being able to have three colors instead of just one for only $13 more, I do wish I were getting a better value regarding the actual quantity of product, since I feel like palettes are generally supposed to be a better deal value-wise rather than just convenience-wise. So I'm going to go ahead and say that if you know you only want one color, or anticipate using this product heavily, you're probably getting a better deal in the long run to just buy full size. 

Whew, okay now that I have that little rant off my chest, let's get to the actual product. 
Left to Right: Dim Light, Incandescent Light, Radiant Light
All three of these products are relatively sheer, so I couldn't capture swatches that do the powders justice. In lieu, I'll just describe them and tell you how I like to use them. 
Dim Light
Dim Light is the most neutral of the three (and actually all of the Ambient Lighting Powders). The powder doesn't appear to have any sparkle to it, and it applies so softly and smoothly. It doesn't have much of a sheen to it but just a very subtle glow. I like to apply this all over my face. 
Incandescent Light
Incandescent Light is the lightest of the three and unique to this palette (there is no full-size version of this). The powder does appear to have some sparkle to it, and when applied there is a sheen. When you look closely, the sparkle is very subtly visible on the skin. This is just as soft and smooth as Dim Light. While all of these are designed to be finishing powders, because of the sheen this one gives off coupled with how light it is, I probably won't ever use this all over my face as I am naturally oily and don't need any added sparkle without depth. However, I do really love this as a highlight on my cheekbones and around my eyebrows.
Radiant Light
This is my favorite of the bunch. I really thought Dim Light would be, but this one is just so pretty! Honestly, the formation of this one seems almost exactly like Incandescent Light as far as the sparkle and sheen, but my opinion is a little different because it is a deeper color. At the moment, I do like using this as a really light bronzer, sweeping it over my cheeks and temples. BUT even though there is some shimmer to this one, I do intend to use it all over my face during the summer months. I think the effect will be really nice (especially once I've gotten a bit of a tan), and I don't mind appearing more glow-y in the warmer months. 

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this palette, and I think I want to try some of the other colors. Do you have any of the Ambient Lighting Powders? How do you feel about them and which are your favorites?

4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog!
    Do you think the lip gloss is available in the uk? :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      The lip gloss is available in the UK at least via uk.spacenk.com.
      You could also check if Laura Mercier ships to the UK via Sephora, or if her brand is available in other stores (sorry I'm not too familiar with UK availability!) Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. I need to get my hands on that Hourglass palette. So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beauty, I'm so glad they made it permanent!

      Delete